Sunday, June 10, 2012

Stewardship and order

Today's post is about order and replacing bad habits with good habits to see desired results. Order is necessary in stewardship and good for life in general. However, it is not easily obtained, it takes work and a concentrated effort.

I remember learning about the 2nd law of thermodynamics in science. Basically, things disintegrate over time if left alone, this is sort of a basic principle. Things naturally move towards chaos or disorder. This reminds me of my dresser.

I found myself constantly cleaning off my dresser because I appreciate order and I like to see a clean surface. I would sit and throw papers away, organize the papers to stay etc. No matter how many times I cleaned this dresser off papers and other clutter would re-appear almost the very next day. My dresser would not look as though I sat for over an hour cleaning it off the previous day. In order to clean off my dresser, I would take precious time during the children's nap to do it. To my dismay, it seemed to be time wasted the next day, when the dresser was cluttered again, like a magnet clutter was drawn to it. The 2nd law of thermodynamics was in full force on my dresser.

So one day I decided that cleaning the dresser was very counterproductive. Did I leave the dresser disorderly? I thought about doing that, but that would not be good stewardship. It was obvious that a flat clean surface would draw clutter at this point and so I decided to replace the surface with a very large fern. Wallah! My plan worked. Not only do I not have to clean off my dresser anymore, it looks very nice with the new plant and improves the overall look of my room.

So why the dresser analogy? Well, you see the same principle's apply when practicing good stewardship. First, order is needed to be successful in stewardship. Where ever there is disorder, order must be put in place.

When we find that bad habits have crept in, we must do something to stop them. What's the best way to lose bad habits? Replace them with good ones. It can be a gradual change as long as you're doing something to move towards order.

Let's say everyday on your way to work you walk past a donut shop and you go in and purchase a donut and a cup of coffee for $4. You have decided to pay off a credit card and realize that you spend $20 a week on coffee and donuts, which equals to $80 per month. This is definitely counterproductive to your stewardship goals. That $80 can be utilized wisely to pay off the debt and save you money on interest.  So what can you do?

Take a different route to work. Since the smell of the coffee will draw you in, don't walk past the shop. Walk on the other side of the street or take a different route altogether and bring a bottle of water from home. You may discover the enjoyment of something new. If you walk a little extra the increased blood flow may be what you need to get some new thoughts going again. Small changes can yield big impact.  

Stewardship and order go hand in hand and the benefits far outweigh the cost. No matter how small a positive change is, it is a change for the best. Right where you are start making order a priority, if it is not already. Stewardship and order lead to peace of mind.  




Remember: "True empowerment comes through stewardship".

No comments:

Post a Comment