Monday, April 23, 2012

My Story

The path to stewardship has been one of trial and many errors over the years. Whatever financial mistakes could be made, I made them. Through this experience I have, however, learned the importance of teaching financial literacy to children from the very beginning.  

While I don't claim to know it all, I am convinced that because of my many mistakes I have a story to share. I have filed bankruptcy, chapters seven and thirteen within two years of each other. I have lost a home to foreclosure and had my car repossessed. My credit score has plummeted to under 500. I have experienced what it feels like to live pay check to pay check as well as watched my checking account reach a whooping (negative $800). Not a pretty sight! I could go on and on about my previous financial disasters, but I'm sure you get the picture.

During this time I assumed the role of a victim.  I was a christian, a church leader and I even tithed most of the time but I could not stop this downward spiral into the financial black hole.

There were two reasons I continued down this destructive path. Number one, I was ignorant to the principles of stewardship. Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..." Number two, I had no vision beyond where I was at the time. I did not want anything bad enough. Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no revelation the people cast off restraint. But happy is he who keeps the law."

Finally one day it was impressed upon me to start studying the book of Proverbs. This one act changed my life forever!

Today my life is finally in financial order. My husband and I have a home and investment real estate. We own our RV free and clear. My bills are paid on time. I carry a couple of very small balances on credit cards. We are practicing good stewardship and life is far better than before.

My story compels me to teach with passion as I see people in the same boat that I was in. I understand how powerless it feels when someone is taking away your car, right in front of you. I sat in the middle of the floor and shed tears as I packed boxes to leave the place I called home because of foreclosure.

Now I know it does not have to be this way. Not to say that we will never experience hardship, however, there is a better way and if we follow the principles already mapped out we can be victors not victims.

Through blogging, writing and seminars I hope to impart stewardship principles that will make life changing impact to all hearers and readers.

May God grant you wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Be empowered for the journey ahead!

*Suggested reading: Proverbs 22

Remember: "True empowerment comes through stewardship"

No comments:

Post a Comment